Hale as seen from orbit.
Moon of Sarnus
Orbital Characteristics
Semi-major axis 10 488 231 m [Note 1]
Apoapsis 10 488 231 m [Note 1]
Periapsis 10 488 231 m [Note 1]
Orbital eccentricity 0
Orbital inclination 1 °
Argument of periapsis 0 °
Longitude of the ascending node 55 °
Mean anomaly 0 rad (at 0s UT)
Sidereal orbital period 23 555 s
1 d 0 h 32 m 35.3 s
Synodic orbital period 23557.5 s
Orbital Velocity 2797.6 m/s
Longest Time Eclipsed 3973 s
Physical Characteristics
Equatorial radius 6 000 m
Equatorial Circumference 37 699 m
Surface area 4.5238934×108 m2
Mass 1.2166330×1016 kg
Standard gravitational parameter 811 990.62 m3/s2
Density 13 446.747 kg/m3
Surface gravity 0.023 m/s2 (0.002 g)
Escape velocity 16.45 m/s
Sidereal rotation period 23 555.314 s
1 d 0 h 32 m 35.3 s
Sidereal rotational velocity 1.6005 m/s
Synchronous orbit 16.51 km
Sphere of influence 6 588.8129 m [Note 1]
Atmospheric Characteristics
Atmosphere present × No
Scientific multiplier
Surface 12
Splashed N/A
Near space 9
Outer space 8
Recovery 8

  1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 The distances are given from the bodies center not surface (unlike ingame)

Hale is the first and innermost moon of Sarnus, and the likely OPM analogue of Saturn's moon Pandora. It is the smallest moon in the game, with a radius of 6 km, and orbits within the Harvster Gap in Sarnus' rings. Hale acts as a ring shepherd and is responsible for keeping the Harvster Gap free of ring particles. Because of its small size, low gravity and proximity to Sarnus, it is difficult to make an encounter with Hale.

It's interesting to note that Hale completes an entire orbit around Sarnus faster than Sarnus rotates along its axis.

In-Game Description

This small moonlet orbiting in the rings of Sarnus is named after Hale, a female shepherd from Kerbal mythology who saved the galaxy from certain destruction. Its location in Sarnus' rings results in some of the finest views in the Kerbol system.

Kerbal Astronomical Society


Hale close

False color image of Hale, edited to emphasize the topography

The extremely low gravity and varied terrain creates an interesting topography to view and to land on. Seemingly vertical cliffs become horizontal plains with a change in orientation and vice versa. Literally, up is down, down is up and sideways is either. Due to its minuscule mass and gravitational force, it does not have an atmosphere. This, together with the low ∆V requirements for landing and returning, makes Hale an attractive target to land on and explore.


Hale in rings

Hale, spotted in it's orbital path among Sarnus' rings

Hale's orbital path between Sarnus' rings is kept relatively clear, presumably because the moonlet absorbs the material in its path. This path, or gap, is called the Harvster Gap.

Hale's surface is divided into a large bright patch and four darker patches. It's theorized that the bright patch may contain some water ice, while the dark patches may contain carbonaceous rock. These darker patches are probably caused by impacts of small moons or asteroids.

It's clear from instrument readings that Hale is made from the same type of material as the ring system it orbits within. These materials are unconfirmed but strongly believed to be silicates, water ice, and other types of rock. If this is the case, due to the moonlet's average density, it can be estimated that 25% of its composition is rock, and the remaining 75% is water ice.


Because of its size, Hale only has 2 biomes.

Biome list

Hale Biome Map

Hale biome map

  • Macula
  • Amarius Region


Hale has the second lowest gravity of all bodies in the Kerbol system at only 0.2% of Kerbin's surface gravity, which is two-fifths that of Eve's moon Gilly and barely higher than Ovok. It is very impractical to walk on Hale, so using jetpacks is a necessity to move around the moon practically.

The low gravity also makes it very difficult to get into an encounter since it makes the sphere of influence so minuscule, especially so considering its relatively high orbital velocity.

Reference Frames

Warp Minimum Altitude
5× 338 m
10× 675 m
50× 1 350 m
100× 2 700 m
1 000× 5 400 m
10 000× 10 800 m
100 000× 21 600 m